Sunday, April 7, 2013

Three very dissimilar photos

I still have all kinds of photos to go through, and I've been focusing on my mother's side of the family for a couple of months. Discovered much information that may or may not be valid. It seems that the records in the Upper Peninsula weren't very good in the late 1800's. (There are much better records in Iron Mountain, and even better records in Florence County in Wisconsin.)

I discovered that my great-grandmother was Christina, and by backtracking through other information, am almost 100% positive her last name was Aronson and she was the sister of August Aronson who settled in Escanaba. It's like putting together a giant puzzle and missing half of the pieces.

August may have emigrated to Michigan from lower Sweden in 1877, and Christina followed in 1883. My grandmother was born in 1885. Something happened, and my grandmother's father remarried a few years later and they had five more children. I've been unable to find a death record (or any other kind of record other than she is listed as Christina Nelson, mother, on Albertina's birth record.) I remember some of the Nelsons and they visited us when I was young up until I was a teen. Unfortunately, I didn't know much more and didn't ask any questions when there were people to give me answers.  There are a million Nels Nelson's as well, and quite a few in the Upper Peninsula so his ancestors are impossible to track.

Then there is the mystery of why or how Albertina moved from Palmer, Michigan, to Hibbing, Minnesota, a few years before my grandfather Karl Ferdinand Backstrom immigrated to Hibbing.

At any rate, the first photo is Lloyd's graduation photo.




The second photo is of Roger and Karen, along with their daughter Susan.




The third photo is of my mother, Margaret Backstrom Lundwall taken in Hibbing about the time she met my father. 


No comments:

Post a Comment