Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Tidbit of Information

I have a 5th cousin, once removed, on my mother's side who lives in Negaunee. She sent me an interesting sentence in an email today, "You have probably checked the census for the whole gang...in 1940, Margaret was listed twice....once in Palmer, and again as lodgers with Mac Kranz (Chicago, Cook, IL, USA) , and they were employed as waitresses in a hospital. It's unusual for people to be caught twice by the same census."

I went looking for this because I hadn't seen the 1940 census from Chicago -- only the one from Palmer. 

From this, I discovered that Violet and Margaret had worked 52 weeks in 1939 as waitresses in a hospital there, and made $560 each -- and that Mae Krans, their cousin, moved in with them and worked 12 weeks as a waitress in the same hospital and made $120 in 1939.

They lived at 738 Briar Place, which must have been a very large apartment building. 

Violet and Margaret remained in Chicago, but Mae returned some time after that to marry Roy Frederickson and they lived in East Kingsford. When Jerry and I lived in Iron Mountain. Mae babysat for me when I worked for the Iron Mountain Chamber of Commerce. 

Funny how one sentence can help us find so much information. I do have the pdf file for the census sheet if anyone is interested -- I can't upload a pdf file here. Thanks again to Midge in Negaunee! 

I did a google search on the address and it is still an apartment house among many other apartment houses, which have recently been renovated in Chicago.  

738 W Briar Place, Chicago Apartments Description

The Brennan is a fully renovated, historical landmark building. Located on a beautiful tree-lined street in East Lakeview, this elevator building offers studio, large studio, 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom units. These sunny apartments offer condo-like amenities - new kitchen cabinets and countertops, microwave, dishwasher, updated bathrooms and large closets with closet organizers. Laundry available in building. Free basic cable TV and internet. You will be steps away from three of the areas major commercial arteries - Halsted, Clark Street and Broadway Avenue. These major streets contain a majority of the neighborhood's restaurants, retail shops and public transportation lines.

This is where Margaret and Violet lived when they first went to Chicago, and where cousin Mae Krans joined them. 

1 comment:

  1. I have not checked into Time Will Tell for a very long time, so I am just now viewing this story and the picture, above. I'm going to try to send this link to Violet's daughter Joan, in case she hasn't seen this. I will also send this to my brothers Roger and Paul.

    Cathy, Margaret's daughter

    ReplyDelete