Thursday, June 28, 2012

Trout Creek, Part 3

From Larry Dishaw


When we went to see Aunt Doris and Uncle Dave, Aunt Doris was always cooking and always fed them.  Aunt Doris made pasties and everybody thought they were the best.  

When we walked along Trout Creek, Earl, my dad, would tell us how he would catch fish with his bare hands at the dam. The fish would get stuck in the holes behind the dam and he could reach in and just grab them. He has fond memories of Uncle Dave and how he always had a smile on his face.  Uncle Dave always told the story of how he and dad (Earl) had too much to drink in a bar one night and dad cut Uncle Dave's tie in half. 

Gerald DeVowe used to take us (Earl, Tommy and Larry) to the dump to see the bears scavenging for food.

Another memory of Davey’s:


Uncles Lloyd, Ward, Marlin, Earl, Bill and my Dad took a ride one evening to see if they could find a deer.  Marlin had his own vehicle.  Uncle Lloyd shot a deer and Uncle Ward didn't want anything to do with it, (for fear of getting caught) and said that he would ride home with Marlin which he did.  On the way back, they hit a deer with the car just coming into Kenton and Ward said, "Leave it there, leave it there", but Marlin wanted the meat so he got the deer and threw it in the back seat of the car and drove home.  Marlin finished the job in the bathtub at his home.

Nancy’s note: YES -- I was there too. Marlin was living in a small upstairs apartment across the alley from Aunt Doris’s. We climbed the steps and they had the deer in the bathtub -- I was speechless. I had never seen so much blood in my life! Think either my mom or my dad got me out of there quickly.

More from Nancy


One time when we got to Trout Creek, my mother sent me upstairs to take a nap. It wasn’t long until Gerald climbed a ladder to knock on the window to wake me up. I went downstairs and my mother let me go outside to play.

Playing games like "Olly olly oxen free" and making wooden guns with a spring clothespin on the end to shoot what I think were pieces of inner tubes cut to the size of thick elastic bands, and playing with slingshots.

Searching for night crawlers, HUGE ice cream cones for a nickel, and western movies in the “theater”.

The first time my husband Jerry went to Trout Creek with us. Jerry was a city boy, he fell asleep in the back seat on the way, and woke up when we were on Forest Highway. He said he’d never been in such a “desolate” place in his whole entire life. It was his first time fishing for trout.

Watching Jerry trying to eat a brook trout with a fork and knife was a sight to behold.


2 comments:

  1. I never knew much about the guys fishing, only would hear them asking Eugene every year on the 4th of July, "So how many fish have you caught NOW, Eugene?" I think he kept count all summer. I don't remember seeing the DeVowe boys or my brother Roger much at the picnics. I think they must've taken off to do even more fishing, although I'm sure they must've been there to eat. Who knows? Janet Jean and I, sometimes with Carol, sometimes not, would head to the beach to go swimming as soon as we could (an hour after we ate) and would pretty much stay there the whole day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eugene could catch more fish than anybody else. The men were quite impressed with the incredible number of fish he was able to catch.

    ReplyDelete