Thursday, June 28, 2012

Trout Creek 

Part 2

MORE from Davey -- 

In June, 1958, I returned from the Phillipine Islands after 2 years of duty and while there I bought a 22 lever action rifle from one of the other sailors.  Instructions for shipping firearms was that the gun had to be disassembled.  I paid the guy for the gun, gave him my address and he shipped it out.  When I got home and opened the box, every piece, every screw and whatever could be removed was removed.  I was at a loss, but went to uncle Lloyd's house and on the living room floor, we spent several hours piecing the gun back to operating condition.

The time we were going to do some ice fishing at the "springhole" by Johnson's Lake. Uncle Bill didn't have any skis and someone had a pair of very short ones which he used. He had a terrible time all the way since the back ends would sink into the snow.  Uphill and downhill required about the same energy.  The round trip was about 5 miles. Needless to say, it was out of season and we didn't get a bite.

Uncle Lloyd bought a 1929 Model A Ford pick-up and left it in T.C. to be used to go fishing in areas with bad roads or trails.  Also, he told me that I could use it anytime to go where ever, which I did.  I used it for fishing, hunting, trapping, but my mother and dad let me use the car for the prom.  Many times I would pick up my dad at the mill at 4:00 and we would race to get south of town about 6 or 8 miles and then turn around and hunt slow for partridge all the way back.

The time uncle Lloyd took me fishing to Cook's Run just before dark to fly fish for german browns and with each splash of one jumping, you would have to try to set the hook since it was too dark to see your fly.  Once in awhile you would get lucky, if you didn't, you would catch the brush on the other side and then have to use a flashlight to attach another fly.

The time when uncle Lloyd and I were wading the stream side by side above Cook's Run and I whipped off my fly.  He asked if I lost my fly, so he gave me another one and in no time I whipped off the second one.  I didn't have the heart to tell him, since he had the flies, so I continued wading and casting my line, knowing full well, that I wasn't going to catch anything.

The time uncle Lloyd came over and got me to go partridge hunting and we left the house just before daybreak.  We drove about 5 miles south of town and it was just breaking day.  He stopped the car, asked me to hold the brake as he saw a bird fly down from a tree. After going into the woods and firing 4 shots he came out with 4 partridge.  We hunted the rest of the morning and as we were getting close to town, I spotted a bird and shot it which made it number 10 - we each had 5, our limit for the day.

One time uncle Marlin and I were hunting partridge and a deer ran across the road and as we drove up, it was standing in the woods.  Marlin said, "give me your 22".  From the driver's seat, he got the deer.  Of course, deer season started in about a month.

I wish I knew how many fish were cleaned in the sink at the house  over the years.  I'm sure there were enough to fill a couple of rooms up to the ceiling.

I still have "The Real Story Book" which was given to me by Aunt Nancy for Christmas, 1943.  The book shows a lot of wear with some tape on the hardcover and pages torn in places, but still very readable.  My children and grandchildren have heard or read many of the same stories that I cherished as a child.  I also remember that when Aunt Nancy got to the house, I would run and hide in my parents closet, for fear of her giving me a kiss which she always did. (Nancy's note -- didn't you receive Hans Brinker or the Silver Skates from Aunt Nancy as well? I remember reading it at Trout Creek and I thought you told me Aunt Nan had sent it to you.)

I remember Uncle Ward talking about being in the CCC's and he was at Camp Jumbo, located approximately 2 miles due south of where the old Ottawa Lodge was located on  M-28.  We fished for many years in the vicinity of that camp.



When Uncle Ray was coming to live with us, I wanted to learn how to communicate with him, since he couldn't hear or talk.  My mother had a small card with all of the "signs" on it. One side was for making the "sign" or each letter of the alphabet and on the opposite side was for reading the "sign" or as it looked to the person getting the message.  I recall that it only took a short period of time to memorize all of the letters, but reading the "signs" and deciphering them was a whole different story.  Uncle Ray would go so fast and I would have to tell him to slow down.  Then he would laugh.  I learned the one-handed, but I remember Uncle Lloyd, Aunt Janet, Uncle Kenneth and Aunt Violet signing with two-hands. Aunt Nancy used one hand, but I'm sure she knew both.


(Nancy Adele's note -- Aunt Nan was still trying to talk to me in sign language the last time I visited. Then she went through the alphabet twice to try to make me remember more. I didn't learn very much, only my name. Uncle Ray and I communicated by his little note pad.)

When I played basketball, Uncle Ray said that he would give me a quarter for each game that we won. I know he paid many times and he never missed a game unless it was too far away.

Mother would ask Uncle Ray if he wanted more to eat and he would indicate that he was full by putting his hand just below his chin.  When dessert was served and he wanted some, Mother would tell him that he said he was full and then he would say "No" and motion by putting his hand at the top of his chest.

Uncle Ray used to like to hunt partridge and we went many times in the Model "A".  He also liked to hunt deer, but he was never successful.  

A couple of additions to my notes of a month ago.

1.  I was about 5 years old when I rode the train from Palmer to Trout Creek.

2.  Uncle Lloyd was the only one that called me "Jon" and he always did.

I asked Gerald for his recollections about Ray and he had the following:  Some of these I remember also, but only when Gerald related them to me.


Dad's Uncle Mose was a short man and was staying at our house and he and Uncle Ray had to sleep in the same 3/4 size bed.  In the morning, he came downstairs and said that Uncle Ray had kicked him out of bed.  Uncle Ray said that he didn't know or remember that.  The next morning Uncle Mose said that he kicked him out of bed last night.

Uncle Ray and I went hunting partridge on a road across from the old dump about a mile north of town.  As we were returning to the car, across the road, in the dump, a bear stood up on its hind legs and we both turned around and started running.  Uncle Ray may have been a little unsteady when walking, but he could sure run.  We were both scared and I told him that he was so scared that he passed me and 2 cars and Uncle Ray laughed. 

Uncle Ray, Uncle Marlin, Dad and myself went partridge hunting in Marlin's Model "A" on a road by Aloff's  homestead and we each took turns shooting birds.  Next one to shoot sat in the passenger seat and we ended up with 20 partridge that day.  Uncle Ray gave me his .410 shotgun and I think Eugene has his 30-30 lever action Marlin rifle.

Nancy's note -- Uncle Ray always came to the picnics with his Cribbage Board. He LOVED to play Cribbage.

Uncle Ray played Santa Claus when he was in the nursing home in Ontonagon. He made a wonderful Santa Claus!

If anybody wants to send me more memories, we will post them as Trout Creek Part 3 or how many parts we need to add! There are so many wonderful Trout Creek stories to share. 




   

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful, wonderful stories, Davey. I had never heard any of them. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete