Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Notes from another reunion – 30 years ago this year.

Many of you remember the huge reunion we had at Bates 30 years ago. Some who are reading this weren’t even born yet. I’m in the process of seeking photos from that reunion. They must be hiding in my house somewhere – I just haven’t found them yet!

Aunt Nancy began looking for information and asking for memories early in the planning – the same way that her “namesake” decided to do for this reunion. Another coincidence – Aunt Nancy was 73 years old at the time, and I turned 73 years old this year. Nancy started writing notes down in January and finished in July of 1982. We have discovered those notes and I want to share them with you.

Aunt Nancy's notes have verified much of what I’ve discovered from other sources but there is added information that increases our knowledge of our heritage – and what it was like for those who came from Sweden, worked hard, studied hard and persevered in “this new and foreign” land. Later (but probably after this reunion is over) I will go back and add to or revise the information I have already shared where it makes sense to do so.

Because the notes are quite long, these will be put into another separate post. At the time, some of what Nancy said was considered quite controversial by many in the family -- which I'm sure she did not plan to happen. Because of that turmoil, Aunt Nancy probably decided not to write any more about her family. I pestered her for years to do so, and she was quite vague about when she would do that for me. She didn't want to take the chance of hurting anyone's feelings again. Aunt Nancy was so very proud of her family, and of each and every one of them and us for very different reasons.

I’ve also found another note from Grandpa Oscar to Grandma Teckla, which I will scan in and post tomorrow. Susie and I were looking at photos today and she reached into a manila envelope and pulled out a photo of Steven playing the violin which I'd never seen before. Apparently it’s been hiding there for several years – I will also scan this and add it to the posting about Steven and the violin tomorrow.

For those of you who have commented, Thank You! It helps to get feedback and it's wonderful to hear from those of you who are willing to share additional memories or things you remember or things you have heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment